Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Speak Easy Toastmasters-‘Cultivating Hope’

In time of doom and gloom it is important to cultivate a sense of hope. The power of hope allows us to pull through just about any kind of dark demanding time. In the extreme, it can mean the difference between life and death.

Hope is a learnable practice. Here are thoughts that offer insight on the subject:
1. Surrender
This is the remarkable ability to go with the flow without expecting a predetermined outcome. It is a willingness to let events unfold in their time- not our time.
2. Vision
When hope is fading, it is easy to think negatively. Work to keep the bleak aspects of your life in perspective. Rather than saying to yourself ‘ My world is falling apart’ try saying and thinking to yourself-‘ This is a very difficult time for me, but I will take on the challenge and see it through.’
Consider what steps you need to take in order to strengthen yourself for these challenges. Do not be afraid to seek help from family and friends or alternatively experts in order to guide you through this difficult time.

3. Persistence
This is the determination to keep moving forward no matter what happens. Life rewards those who are persistent.

4. Humor
No matter how difficult and complex your circumstances may become work to retain a sense of humor.

5. Present Time
Live in the present tense, not the past tense nor the future tense. Health, happiness and hope emerge when we live in the present moment. Learn from the past but do not limit hope by constantly reliving unhappy yesterdays or fearing the future.

Whether a challenge is personal, financial, business related or all three… the aforementioned thoughts and the wisdom they carry can save lives. One must not forget that others have survived seemingly impossible situations in the past. The first step, for all, was a sense of hope.

As Eric Aronson once said-
‘Things may not seem to be working out for me right now, but I know that I will make the best of the situation. I know that I will do everything that I can, one day at a time….I will not worry but rather look at what I am going through as a challenge: a time to develop patience and self confidence and realise that I can change my attitude even if I cannot change my circumstances. I am a survivor. I am going to handle this. I am going to find strength I did not know I had.’

No comments: